PowerSouth

November 2016 Powerlines

Issue link: http://powerlines.uberflip.com/i/744399

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 1 of 11

2 The Energy Efficiency Loan Program begins to provide low-interest loans for residential efficiency improvements. The STOP program (Safety Training Observation Program) is implemented. This behavior-based program is designed to help supervisors and employees recognize both safe and unsafe conditions and acts by conducting safety observations as coworkers work. Record-breaking cold weather across the nation contributes to an all-time system peak of 2,400 megawatts. Despite bitter cold temperatures, high winds, snow and sleet, PowerSouth's generation resources and transmission system remained safe and reliable during late January's record-breaking polar vortex. As part of its periodic extension of the long-term Wholesale Power Contract, the PowerSouth Board added an "evergreen" provision that automatically renews the contract every five years unless a member specifically decides not to renew. The new provision extends the Wholesale Power Contract through the year 2060. PowerSouth celebrates its 75th anniversary, hosting events for the Board of Trustees, employees and retirees, distributing cast iron skillets with the 75th anniversary logo, publishing a commemorative book entitled It Changed Everything and establishing a historical marker at headquarters. TIMES OF CHANGE 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 PowerSouth Energy Cooperative In June 1941, representatives from 11 electric distribution cooperatives met in Montgomery to form the Alabama Electric Cooperative (AEC) to operate generating plants and sell electricity. AEC organized slowly owing to the outbreak of World War II. In 1944, the cooperative secured a $2.5 million loan from the federal Rural Electrification Administration. The loan allowed AEC to purchase three hydroelectric plants along the Conecuh and Pea rivers, diesel plants in Brundidge, Troy, and Frisco City, and 230 miles of power lines. AEC's first office was on South Cotton Street; it moved to the present location in 1957. The company was renamed PowerSouth Energy Cooperative in 2008 to reflect its regional growth. By its 75th anniversary, the cooperative included more than 2,000 megawatts of generation and 2,272 miles of transmission lines, and provided service to nearly 1 million people in Alabama and northwest Florida. The cooperative had 20 distribution members—16 electric cooperatives and 4 municipal electric systems, and utilized a diverse power generating mix that included water, natural gas, and coal. With the leadership of its member systems and more than 600 employees, PowerSouth has played a leading role in reshaping and modernizing the region with reliable and affordable electricity. Alabama Historical Association 2016

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of PowerSouth - November 2016 Powerlines